Mens' shirts

Shirt shopping


Who is thinking of buying a new shirt soon? The shops are full of the Autumn – Winter clothes and Christmas is coming! Lets explore the options…


Mens' shirts


What colour shirts make a good impression?

When choosing a shirt to impress, a there are a few things to take into consideration –  does it match with the rest of the outfit? Is the shirt good quality? Particularly at this time of year, does it fit the dress code? Something you might not have previously considered – what does this colour say about the person wearing it?

Research has shown that the colour of a man’s shirt can affect perception of the wearer –  if you’re looking to come across as powerful; choose red. If you want to show confidence, always opt for black. We have talked with Charles Tyrwhitt, experts in gentlemen’s fashion and retailers of men’s formal shirts, to investigate further and find out specifically which colours women prefer on men.

Choosing the right colour

When it comes to deciding which coloured shirt to buy, there are some that are perceived more positively by the opposite sex. These are the colours we have lookied into…


Immediately, you’re thinking Christmas, or Valentine’s Day and all things romantic, right?  Red screams love and passion. It is thought that the attraction to red comes from our biological roots – many animals such as baboons are attracted to the opposite sex if they display bright colours. May be a bit much for a first date – possibly slightly overwhelming, however it does give off some vibes that your date might be interested in.

In a different setting, if you’re wanting to display power and a strong social status, red is probably a good colour to go for. Research says that wearing red can be a fantastic confidence booster, which is always a good thing.

In a recent survey which explored the attractiveness of men in different coloured shirts, red was found to be more attractive than either blue or green. This perception was a global consensus – so wherever in the world you go wearing a red shirt, expect to get a similar reception.

However, although the colour was linked to love and romance it was not associated with the wearer being kind or sociable – perhaps you’ll have to demonstrate these traits through the power of conversation instead, especially on a first date!


Although originally reserved for mourning and funerals, black is now a staple part of most wardrobes. As with red, black can also be perceived as a colour of self-assurance – 56% of women said that it inspired confidence. Other opinions suggest that the colour black made the wearer appear more intelligent and sexy – perfect for a first date!

Black is believed to be ideal for classy events. Too much black can be overpowering, so if you do decide on a black shirt you should avoid pairing it with a black jacket, trousers and shoes too. Mix it up a little, break the rules!  It is a versatile colour so don’t be afraid to mix and match, for example blue denim jeans and a black shirt would be a good combination.


White was another colour that rated high in terms of preference. It was seen as the least arrogant colour, definitely more modest than red or black –  instead hinted that the wearer was full of optimism!

A white shirt is a very classic look for formal events. However, during research, it was the definitive white t-shirt and jeans combo that caught women’s eyes and was thought to be the more attractive look for a man.

Ones to avoid

There are also some colours to avoid when it comes to choosing a shirt to make a good first impression. In many surveys pertaining to the attractiveness of various colours, orange and brown consistently performed poorly. They often are seen as quite boring, drab colours although a bright orange shirt could brighten up an outfit nicely on a summer’s day, it is another bold colour that would draw a lot of attention to the wearer.

Pink didn’t go down very well either in the survey. Only 5% of people thought that intelligent people would wear this colour – the opinion of the other 95% – slightly less favourable!

Other tips

When choosing which colour shirt to buy, think about these things:

  • Many men look great in a colour that matches their eyes, if you have green eyes perhaps opt for a moss green shirt- a popular colour for Autumn
  • Avoid wearing really dark colours if you have a light complexion, this can really draw your skin tone out and make you appear paler and washed out
  • If you have dark hair,  bright colours as these are likely to complement you


Men – what’s your favourite shirt colour? Ladies, how do you like you man to look in shirts? Pop up in the comments and let me know.




This post is in collaboration with Charles Tyrwhitt.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: